Friday, July 29, 2011

Scream (1996)


Plot: A killer in a Ghostface costume is stalking and killing a group of high school teenagers...just like something out of a horror movie ;)

Review:
Classic!
That is the best word I can use to describe this film. The directing is perfect. Wes Craven really knows how to build suspense and hold tension. The characters are all well developed and REALLY likable. I was REALLY rooting for these characters as opposed to the killer. They gave us a GREAT heroine in Sidney who kicked ass. She isn’t your typical good-girl virgin heroine. She has a past and doesn’t blend into the many other horror film final girls.
The soundtrack was amazing; that score was perfection! I have it blasting out of my headphones right now and the acting was great all around. The movie was also really clever and witty and had great lines. This film has one hell of a script, thanks to Kevin Williamson. He crafted a film with a group of characters that know the horror clichés.
The kills are brutal and bloody and while not gory, I found myself cringing in terror. Do I even need to talk about that opening? I will anyway. The opening is perfection at its finest. The score, the build-up, the acting, the tension…all down to the pay off – not one flaw. It’s terrifying and brutal and amazing.
Even though the film has a perfect rating from me I do have a few flaws. The supermarket scene – why would the killer be there in full costume? It annoys me. Either get rid of the scene, cut off the ending, or have one of the characters there watching them.
Another thing that bothers me is that WAY TOO many people survive in the end for my liking. I think they could've killed off another couple of the characters. Just sayin'…but this really isn’t anything major.
But in the end it's still an amazing movie and the ending is MIND BLOWING! When the killer is revealed, my mind is still blown each and every time. Go and see this film.
CLASSIC!

VERDICT: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment